How To Make Andhra Dosakaya Pappu?
Andhra Dosakaya Pappu- Melon Cucumber Dal Curry. Vegan. GF. Andhra Recipes. Dal Recipes
Andhra Dosakaya Pappu is a delicious dal curry made with toor dal (pigeon pea lentils), dosakaya called as melon cucumber or yellow cucumber and tomatoes. This dosakaya pappu has the earthy flavors of cumin and garlic which balances the otherwise dal curry well in terms of taste. I have too many friends from Andhra, a south Indian state that speaks the Telugu language predominantly. This is not a surprise because almost all people from Andhra love food in the order of 1. Avakaya, 2. Pachadi and 3. Pappu. They are people who can make a pappu with any vegetable or even the scraps of vegetables, the latter was discovered by me after Mrs. S who initiated me into the wonderful world of methi chaman cooked some pappu with peels of veggies.
Enter Mrs. S again. Thanks to Mrs. S for introducing me to this Andhra Dosakaya Pappu. There is a story behind this recipe. Long before Lil A came along and i guess Mrs. S was pregnant then, Mr.P had to go on one of his tours. So, Mr. S, Mrs. S and me saw him off at the airport and were returning back home when we heard a shriek from Mrs. S. We initially thought her water broke or something but it turned out that she had spotted this melon cucumber by the roadside. She immediately made us get down from the car on an afternoon in the middle of April, all for the sake of this dosakaya. And once she had bought enough to make Andhra dosakaya pappu for about a dozen times, she iterated on how she missed eating dosakaya pappu throughout that 20 min drive back home. Obviously, i never understood why there was such a hue and cry over this unsightly vegetable. Little did i know that that was going to change the next day.
Well, the next day, my house help came in and gave me a tiffin box and declared that Mrs. S sent it over. I opened it and was greeted by a delicious aroma. And this was around 10 in the morning. I was immediately hungry and so i cooked me up some rice and began to eat. And there, that instant, i became an ardent fan of this Andhra Dosakaya Pappu, which is such a simpleton of a recipe and yet, leaves you feeling so rewarded after eating it. This is Mrs. S’ recipe. I have not bothered to make any changes at all. Because, this will forever remain something that Mrs. S gave me and i do not want to tarnish that memory and the story that came along with this Andhra Dosakaya Pappu.
Recipe For Andhra Dosakaya Pappu
- Dosakaya (yellow cucumber) 1 largish peeled, seeds removed and cut into cubes
- Tomato 1 large chopped finely
- Garlic 3 cloves crushed
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Green chilies 3 slit lengthwise
- Toor dal/ Pigeon Pea Lentils ½ c
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Pressure cook toor dal with 1 and ¼ cup of water and turmeric until mushy. Takes about 5 to 8 whistles depending on the age of dal used.
- Once done, mash lightly with a whisk and set aside
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- Add crushed garlic and green chilies.
- Once garlic turns brown, Add the chopped cucumber and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till mushy.
- Add cooked dal and mix well.
- Simmer on medium flame for about 5 mins.
- At this stage, if you find the dal thick, add ¼ c of water and mix well. Simmer for another min.
- Once done, remove from heat.
- Heat a small pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- Pop the mustard and add urad dal,cumin seeds, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds next.
- Once the uard dal turns brown, add the tempering to the pappu and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti