How To Make Dhaba Style Dal Fry?
DHABA STYLE DAL FRY- A DELICIOUS LENTIL CURRY WITH MIXED DALS. GLUTEN FREE.
Dal fry or Dhaba style dal fry is ultimate comfort food. It is a quick recipe that no one can ever resist. I have a dal fanatic in the house- Mr.P. The man loves dal so much that he could just live on dal and rice. This Dhaba style dal fry is my humble attempt to recreate the magic of dhabe ki dal. Dhaba or Dhabe are small highway side eateries found across Northern India.
Each dhaba has its own magic but the best food comes from Punjabi Dhabas. The dhaba style dal fry or dal tadka is popular for its smoky flavor. But smoky or not, this dhaba style dal fry is a wonderful and healthy accompaniment to flatbreads like pudina paratha and vegetable pulao.
Shall we now learn how to make Dhaba Style Dal Fry step by step?
Pressure cook all the dals with enough water and salt till mushy. Keep ready all whole spices and spice powders. Chop onions and tomatoes finely.
Crush garlic and ginger in a mortar and pestle and make a coarse paste. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add all the whole spices and saute till aromatic. Now add crushed ginger garlic paste along with green chiles and saute on medium flame till garlic turns fragrant.
Add onions next and fry till translucent. Now add all spice powders and mix well. Cook on medium flame for 30 secs. Add the tomatoes next and fry till mushy.
Add the cooked dal and salt next and mix well. Use a masher and mash the dal well to a smooth texture. Cook this for about 5 more mins. Switch off flame.
In a small pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee. Add 2 dry red chilies, 2 tbsp chopped onions and a small pinch of kasturi methi. Fry till onion becomes translucent. Pour this over the dal and mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Your Dhaba style dal fry is now ready.
Recipe For Dhaba Style Dal Fry
- Moong dal 1 tbsp
- Whole masoor dal 1 tbsp
- Toor dal 2 tbsp
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- Channa dal 1 tbsp
- Onion ½ c + 2 tbsp chopped finely ( roughly 2 medium onions)
- Tomatoes 2 medium chopped finely
- Green chili 1 slit
- Garlic 5 cloves
- Ginger 1" long
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Clove 1
- Cardamom 1
- Cinnamon ½" stick
- Kasturi methi 1 tbsp crushed
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Coriander cumin powder 1 tsp
- Punjabi Garam Masala ½ tsp
- Whole dry red chilies ( Kashmiri) 2 broken
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash all the dals thoroughly until water runs clear.
- Pressure cook this along with 1.5 cups of water and salt to taste until mushy.
- Crush garlic and ginger in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add the whole spices - cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf , kasturi methi and cumin seeds.
- Add crushed garlic paste and cook till garlic turns light brown.
- Add ½ cup of chopped onion next and fry till translucent.
- Add all the spice powders next and fry on medium flame for 30 secs.
- Now add tomatoes and mix.
- Cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked dal along with some more salt and mix well.
- Use a masher and mash the dal to a smooth texture.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 mins.
- Switch off flame.
- Heat a small pan with 2 tbsp ghee.
- Add dry red chilies, a small pinch of kasturi methi and 2 tbsp chopped onions.
- Cook till onions turn translucent.
- Once done, pour this over the dal and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.