How To Make Gujarati Kadhi?
GUJARATI KADHI- A SWEET AND SPICY YOGURT SAUCE TEMPERED WITH WHOLE SPICES.
Gujarati Kadhi is something that i began to love after moving to Singapore. Strange, isn’t it? I never quite liked this sweetish Gujarati Kadhi while i lived in Vadodara. I still remember bickering with my short term cook over adding sugar to kadhi. She always used to ask me how i ate my kadhi without the hint of sugar. And i always gave her a stare.
But some how, i began missing the Kadhi once i left the place. I even miss my cook. I must admit that i learned this recipe from her. And i rely on kadhi whenever i am short of time. And whenever i make methi theplas, there has to be some sweetish gujarati kadhi to mop them off with. Addition of sugar to your kadhi is optional but highly recommended, especially if you are eating it with theplas and such. I remember this small roadside eatery that served samosa with kadhi. I found this combination very strange yet oh so delicious!. I have never eaten such delicious samosas ever. How i miss Vadodara.
Recipe For Gujarati Kadhi
- Besan (chickpea flour) 2 tbsp
- Water 3 tbsp
- Thick sour yogurt ½ c
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Green chili 4
- Ginger ½" peeled and chopped
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 10
- Hing a small pinch
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Make a coarse paste out of green chili and ginger using your mortar and pestle.
- Combine besan and water and make a smooth paste.
- Whisk the yogurt into this making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat a pan with ½ tbsp oil.
- Add the green chili ginger paste along with hing and curry leaves.
- Saute for 1 min on medium flame.
- Now, add the yogurt besan mixture to the pan along with salt and sugar and whisk well
- Simmer this mixture for 5 to 7 mins .
- Once done, switch off flame.
- Heat another pan with the remaining oil.
- Pop the mustard seeds and n=add cumin and fenugreek.
- Once the fenugreek turns a light pink, pour this over the kadhi and mix well.
- Serve hot.