How To Make A Savory Millet Parfait?
SAVORY MILLET PARFAIT- A SIMPLE & HEALTHY MILLET BASED BREAKFAST IN A JAR.
This savory millet parfait jar is inspired by Kambu Koozh, an everyday breakfast ritual in so many households across Tamil Nadu. Kambu koozh is basically a savory porridge made with pearl millet flour and yogurt. This is then served with an assortment of trimmings that include sun dried chilies, shallots and fryums.
While i love kambu koozh, i m always looking for newer ways to incorporate our traditional foods in tune with the modern ways of eating. This savory millet parfait in a jar is an attempt to do just that. I bought pearl millet flakes a while ago. I tried making upma with it but i did not like it. It turned soggy and was so not my kind of upma.
I made a sweet parfait using these millet flakes and simply loved it. But a sweet breakfast is not my cup of tea either. And then, i was on the phone with my mom and she kept telling how kambankoozh stalls had cropped up everywhere. That was the point when i decided to make this savory millet parfait in a jar. The ingredients are very simple. And it takes less than 15 mins to put together.
Recipe For Savory Millet Parfait In A Jar
- Pearl millet flakes 1 cup
- Tangy yogurt ½ cup
- Salt ½ tsp
- Grated carrrot 3 tbsp
- Cucumber 10 slices
- Shallots 4 to 5 sliced thinly
- Coriander leaves 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Green chili 2 chopped
- Sundakai vathal 1 tbsp
- Oil to fry the vathal
- In a bowl, mix together the millet flakes, yogurt and salt.
- Add this to the bottom of the jar.
- Add the veggies on top of this as the next layer.
- Heat 1 -2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the vathal and fry till golden and crisp.
- Add this to the jar as the next layer
- Now, in the same pan, heat a tsp of oil.
- Pop the mustard seeds, urad dal and green chilies.
- Add this tempering to the jar.
- Dig in.