How To Make Millet Flakes Granola Bars?
MILLET FLAKES GRANOLA BARS- HEALTHY GRANOLA BARS WITH MILLET, CACAO & NUTS
Granola bars need no introduction. They seem to be the rage among all foodies at the moment. In fact, they have been the “in thing” for a while now and their popularity doesn’t seem to cease any time soon. While these granola bars are available in a variety of flavors and combinations in stores, the downside to these versions are that they are often chock full of sugar and preservatives.
Sugar is a big no for people who are watching their weight. But then again, granola bars can be a great snack on the go. Mr. P has been working monster hours. I mean, literally, monster hours and he hardly has the time to eat a proper breakfast these days. I tried my hand at these millet flakes granola bars to see how it works with Mr.P. These millet flakes granola bars were a complete sell out. His colleagues simply loved it.
These millet flakes granola bars are gluten free and have no refined sugar. I have used powdered Gula Melaka in these bars in place of the regular brown or white sugar. Gula Melaka is palm jaggery and is very popular here in Singapore. Also, i tried using almond butter for a change in place of the coconut oil and i must say the bars held up pretty well and were really delicious with a nutty taste. If you are looking for more ways to use millet flakes, then please check out this healthy millet flakes parfait.
Recipe For Millet Flakes Granola Bars
- Organic millet flakes 1 cup
- Chia seeds 1 tbsp
- Cacao nibs 2 tbsp
- Walnuts 10 broken into small bits
- Sesame seeds 1 tbsp
- Powdered Gula Melaka ½ cup
- Gula Melaka syrup 2 tbsp
- Almond butter 4 tbsp
- Sea salt a pinch
- Preheat oven to 180 c
- In a microwave safe bowl. add the almond butter along with Gula Melaka syrup and mix well
- Microwave on high for 20 secs.
- Remove and add the salt to this and mix well.
- In another bowl, place the millet flakes, sesame seeds, chia, walnuts and cacao nibs
- Give a good toss.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add the almond butter mixture along with the powdered Gula Melaka.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well so that it all comes together to form a shaggy dough like mass.
- Line a sheet cake pan with parchment.
- Dump the mixture in the middle of the pan and gently spread out using your fingertips.
- Now, use an inverted flat bowl and press the mixture and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake this for 20 mins until set.
- Cool and cut into squares.
I used organic millet flakes for this but rice cereal will work well too.
Feel free to add your own choice of nuts and seeds.