How To Make Sattu Paratha?
SATTU PARATHA- A NUTRITIOUS STUFFED FLATBREAD MADE WITH WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
Sattu paratha is a delicious and protein packed dish that is made with whole wheat flour. This paratha uses a stuffing that has roasted gram flour which is known as sattu in so many parts of India. While the southern states are not very aware of Sattu and its benefits, it is quite popular in the central states of India, especially Bihar and its neighboring states.
Sattu is basically nothing but flour that is made by grinding dry roasted bengal gram. It is easily available in all stores these days and is a powerhouse of nutrition in terms of protein. While the traditional sattu has only bengal gram, there are versions where other ingredients are also added.
I used store bought sattu flour to make these parathas. Now, this sattu paratha was introduced to me by a Bihari friend back in Vadodara. And i have been making this ever since then. The key to making a great sattu paratha lies in choosing the correct pickle oil. Use mustard oil based pickles for best results.
Shall we now check how to make Sattu Paratha?
First make the paratha dough by combining wheat flour, salt and water. Make a smooth, non sticky supple dough and set aside.
Once done, in a large bowl, combine sattu flour, onion, garlic, coriander leaves, lemon juice, salt, ajwain, pickle oil, green chili. Rub in the oil into the mixture and mix well until it resembles a crumbly mass. This must come together like a ball when you scoop up some in your hands and press.
Divide the dough into 6 parts. Shape each part into a ball. Dust a ball in flour and roll into a thick circle. Smear a little ghee on this. Now,Place a tbsp of filling and seal the filling by pinching the edges of the dough circle together.
Dust this in flour and roll into thinner circles taking care not to tear the parathas. Watch the video for a better understanding.
Today's lunch prep has some sattu ke parathe in the making. Here's a short video on how to make some sattu ke parathe. #videorecipe #kitchenscenes #kicthenprep #recipevideo #vegansofig #veganfoodporn #veganrecipe #paratha #tasteofindia #indianfoodbloggers #indianfood #indiancuisine #desifood #desikhana
Once done, heat a tava and place the paratha. Cook till brown spots appear on one side . Apply oil and flip over and cook again till brown spots appear. Once done, serve hot with ghee and yogurt.
Recipe For Sattu Paratha
- Wheat flour/ Aata- 1.5 cups
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Water to knead the dough
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- For The Filling
- Sattu flour ¾ c
- Onions Finely chopped ½ c
- Garlic cloves grated 1 tsp
- Green chili 1 minced finely
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 2 tbsp
- Pickle oil 2 -3 tbsp (see notes)
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Omam/ Ajwain/ Carom seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Combine whole wheat flour, salt and water and knead to a smooth non sticky and supple dough.
- Set aside.
- In a wide mixing bowl, place all the ingredients for filling and mix thoroughly.
- To make the parathas, divide the dough into 6 parts.
- Shape each part into a ball.
- Dust with flour and roll into a thick circle
- Spread a little ghee on top.
- Now, place a tbsp of filling in the center and bring together the edges.
- Pinch and seal.
- Flatten this ball and dust with flour.
- Roll into thin circles. Do this gently to avoid tearing.
- Once done, heat a tava.
- Place the paratha and cook till brown spots appear.
- Smear oil and flip and cook again till brown spots appear again.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with yogurt and ghee.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make the remaining parathas.
In case you dont have access to these pickles, add a tbsp of mustard oil in addition to the oil you are using.